Skip to main content
PLAYING: Understanding why babies cry
Understanding why babies cry
Wondering why babies cry? If you’re struggling to understand what your baby is trying to tell you, check this list for possible clues to help.
Oct 23, 2020
- Check if baby is tired—look out for telltale signs like fluttering eyelids or sucking of fingers.
- Check if their nappy needs changing
- Feel if they’re too hot or cold.
- See if they want a cuddle—sometimes they just need some love.
- Consider whether they have constipation, colic or reflux. If you think they do, read our checklist on how to help baby tummy problems. [https://www.babyandme.nestle.co.za/0-6-months/baby-tummy-problems]
- Check their little fingers and toes. On rare occasions, little hairs can cut off circulation and irritate baby.
- Try using motion to soothe baby. Swaying cuddles, the sling, the car, or the baby buggy.
- Try winding the baby with several different techniques. Babies’ burp buttons aren’t all pressed in the same way.
- Try baby massage to help troubled tummies. Read our checklist to find out how to give a baby massage. [https://www.babyandme.nestle.co.za/0-6-months/baby-massage]
- It may sound strange, but try the sound of a hoover or hair dryer. There are lots of white noise apps too these days.
- Give them a warm bath to relax them.
- Try to trust your instinct. If their crying is causing concern speak to your healthcare provider.