Skip to main content
PLAYING: Disposable-nappy-changing routine
You’re going to do a lot of nappy changing over the next few months, so here’s a helpful nappychanging routine. Check it off and make every nappy change smooth like your baby’s bottom.
Oct 26, 2020
- Gather everything you need before you start: Changing-mat; clean towel; clean nappy; cotton balls; cooled boiled water (to dip the cotton balls in) or fragrance- and alcohol-free wipes; barrier cream.
- Place the towel on the changing mat, lay your baby on the towel.
- If you’re using a changing table, keep your eyes on baby all the time—they can wriggle a lot.
- Singing or chatting to your baby can help to soothe and calm them.
- Undo the dirty nappy. If it’s full, use it to remove most of the mess.
- Clean your baby’s bottom with the wet cotton balls or wipes. Wipe front to back for a girl, back to front for a boy.
- Pat your baby’s bottom dry with the towel.
- Gently lift your baby’s legs with one hand and put the clean nappy (with the tabs at the back) under their bottom with the other.
- Apply a barrier cream if your baby’s bottom looks red or sore.
- Fold the front of the nappy up to baby’s waist and fasten the tabs on the sides
- Wash and moisturise your hands after every nappy change.