Skip to main content
PLAYING: How to help a picky eater
How to help a picky eater
Wondering how to help a picky eater? Developing a palate takes time. So we’ve prepared a menu of useful tips to help turn your picky eater into a food lover.
Oct 26, 2020
- Stick to regular mealtimes. Routine is reassuring for young children.
- Serve small meals and offer more later —large portions can be overwhelming.
- Use colours and shapes to make the food fun and attractive.
- Try to make mealtimes fun by involving your toddler with meal preparation or chatting with them about the colors and textures of the food.
- Be positive. Praise your toddler when they’re eating well, don’t criticize or punish when not.
- Offer new tastes gradually. One at a time and in small amounts.
- Try not to rush mealtimes as some toddlers eat very slowly.
- Eat together as a family as much as possible. Toddlers learn just as much by watching what you do, from table manners to savoring food and trying different things.
- Encourage them to feed themselves, it might help finger foods be accepted more easily. You can deal with the mess later.
- For more on preventing picky eating, read our 14 ways to raise a toddler with healthy-eating habits.